Part 2: Setting Remodeler Priorities
Setting Priorities for the Selection of Your Remodeling Contractor.
Selecting a remodeler is not the same as selecting a car. A car’s specific make, model and options will be the same no matter which dealer you buy from and no matter what you pay. This is not true when selecting a remodeler. Here’s why:
No two remodelers are the same. They vary in experience, quality, service, reputation, dependability, cost, and in many more ways. These variations will impact your project and your remodeling experience.
It is as important to establish what you want to get from your remodeling experience as it is to establish what you want from your finished project.
Factors to Consider
Here are the typical attributes you should prioritize, because you can’t get all from any one remodeler. You have to decide what is most important because, for example, if your highest priority is lowest cost that will push other things you can realistically expect lower.
- Has great online reviews
- Uses a third party to take satisfaction surveys of all their clients
- Is a legally registered business
- Has a license to do the type of work you need done
- Carries adequate liability and workers compensation insurance
- Belongs to a remodeling industry trade organization
- Handles getting all required permits and inspections and guarantees their work to pass inspection.
- Ease to work with
- Availability within time frame
- Quality of Service
- Quality of Design
- Type of design services
- Award-Winning Remodeler
- Quality of Construction
- Quality of Materials
- Quality of Craftsmanship
- Quality of Project Management
- Help the remodeler can provide you in making decisions
- Choice and quality of finish and product selections
- How long the project will take
- Site cleanliness
- Accuracy of Estimate or Price
- Fixed price, Cost Plus, Estimate, etc.
- Guarantees (price, materials, on time, etc.)
- Warranties (length, for what, etc.)
- Lowest Cost
- Best Value
- Whatever it costs to get what I am looking for
Part 1: Setting Priorities for Your Remodeling Project